How to search for coins with a metal detector
A pot of gold coins hiding not only leprechauns on the poppy field, such finds of Ukrainian treasure hunters happen in our not at all fairy-tale state. Of course, it is a great fortune to find a treasure of coins, but one cannot do without some preparation.
Where to look for coins in Ukraine, the main places
• Long-standing beaches on lakes and along rivers. In addition to antiquities: jewelry, coins, church utensils, seals, there you can find many modern values: chains, pendants, earrings, etc. By the way, the beginning treasure hunter learns to feel the metal detector is best on the beach. Each metal gives its own characteristic signal, and by learning to distinguish it – you can already proceed to search for larger treasures.
search for coins on the beach with a metal detector
• Places of ancient settlements. If necessary, to flee from the invaders, people piled their belongings into caches, most often directly into the cellar of the house. But few returned for their good. Even if there is no stone left on the house, its location will indicate the remains of chips, the outline of the foundation, it is better to certainly find the map of the settlement of that time, this will greatly simplify the search for coins.
search for old settlements
See also: Budget block protection for Garrett Ace 250 against water
How to work with a possible treasure map?
If you were lucky and a map of the area was found with objects of the epoch you are interested in, then it would be worthwhile to bring it in line with modern topography. It is extremely convenient to do this in Photoshop. First, we translate the scale of the map into the km we are used to, for which we multiply the length and width of the map by 1.26 (if it was originally a 3-type layout) or calculate the correct ratio for your option, and save.
Then, on the old map in a new scale, we impose a modern one (by making it translucent) and using the pencil tool we mark the objects that are attractive to us. After everything is marked, we remove the old map and save the new one with marks. Thus, we have a modern map with notes of interesting places to search for treasure.
See also: How much does a cheap metal detector cost?
So, you are on the beach. Take with you a spatula and a plastic tray with a cellular bottom, an ordinary vegetable drawer fits, the main thing is that the sand wakes up through the holes, and everything that is the diameter of a coin stays inside. If the search is carried out in a public place, then you should use headphones so that fans couldn’t take a look at the squeak of a metal detector or even take away what was found.
• Turn on the metal detector and begin to drive the probe above the ground of the beach.
• Hearing a squeak, we specify the location of the signal and do a couple of movements with a blade to a depth of 10 -15 cm, moving the excavated soil into the tray.
• Once again we carry out the probe of the metal detector above the tray and the excavation site. When the signal comes from the tray – sift the contents and retrieve a valuable find!
• If the signal of the metal detector was clear, but the tray is empty, we once again check the sifted earth, such trifle as earrings, pendants and chains, could easily slip through the holes of the box.
Soon, when you search for coins by sound, you will learn how to determine the size, and sometimes the approximate distance to the inventory, as well as, even without a discriminator, to distinguish small debris from the items found. After that, it will be possible to move on to the treasure hunting of coin caches in places of old settlements in Ukraine.